3 Day Refresh

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Homemade Basic Tomato Sauce



I am not a fan of veggies. I tolerate green beans, broccoli and lettuce, but really need sauces or dressings to eat them. I like tomatoes and pumpkin, which technically aren't veggies, but as a Fixer they count as veggies in my nutrition plan. I struggle to eat enough veggies and since I am cutting out high fat and sugar dressings and sauces I needed to improvise. This recipe can be altered in a ton of ways to fit your tastes and different purposes, but the basics are the same.



Ingredients: 

- Tomato Puree (Make sure that it is no added salt or sugar!)
- Stevia (If you don't like stevia, you could use raw sugar, honey or maple syrup. This will increase the calorie count and can impact your blood sugar)
- Seasonings: For pizza or pasta sauce I use garlic powder, onion powder and Italian seasoning mix.

Tomato Sauces are really a matter of taste. We each have different preferences for different uses. So, this is how I start but I alter it for different uses. I would start with just a little of the seasonings and sweeteners and slowly add more to get the flavor you want. I typically use dried spices because I don't have the time to saute garlic or onion, but those and fresh herbs would amp it up even more!

Base: 

I usually start with 1 cup of tomato puree and 1 tsp of stevia. Put this on the stove and simmer for at least 20 minutes. The longer it simmers the more flavorful the sauce.

Pizza/Pasta Sauce: 

I typically add 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder and 1-2 tsp of Italian seasoning. For pizza sauce, I add a little more stevia. I am not a fan of spicy foods, but you could add red pepper flakes to this for a more intense flavor. This is also great on spaghetti squash if you are cutting back carbs. Check out my quick lunchtime pizza recipe!


Taco Sauce: 

I use this for taco meat (instead of store bought seasonings full of artificial yuck).To this version, I add the 21 Day Fix Southwest Seasoning (minus the chili powder due to personal preference).  If I am making taco salad I add more sauce to the meat instead of using a dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment